There’s nothing worse than coming home from the store to cook dinner and realizing you forgot something. Our whole philosophy is teaching you to cook with what you have on hand, so here’s a list of creative and healthy substitutions to help you get started:
- Bread = pita, tortillas, or lettuce: make your sandwiches more interesting and less carb-filled with these alternative
- Cream cheese = cottage cheese: puree and use anywhere you’d use the real stuff
- Mayonnaise = avocado or hummus: add to sandwiches, cold pastas, or anything that needs a creamy base
- Oatmeal = quinoa: try this as a protein-packed breakfast with milk and cinnamon
- Pasta = spaghetti squash: roast and peel the “noodles” away with a fork for a low-calorie and low-carb alternative
- Pine nuts = sunflower seeds: add to pastas, top salads, or use when making pesto
- Potatoes = cauliflower: use to make mashed potatoes, or roast and top with gravy or your favorite pasta sauce
- Potatoes = sweet potatoes: use for fries, oven-roasted potatoes, hash, and anytime you want to add some fiber to your meal
- Rice = quinoa: use in fried rice, stir-fries, and soups to add protein
- Rice = cauliflower: grate or pulse in blender, then steam and use as you wish
- Salad dressing = salsa: top your greens with this fresher alternative that will likely have less sugar and fat
- Sour cream = plain yogurt: add to chilis, soups, and other foods to reduce the spiciness and add a creamy texture
- Sugar = cinnamon: sweeten your oatmeal, yogurt, and treats with this spice
Also in The Dish
6 Recipes For When You’re Broke AF
One day soon you’ll be popping bottles of Cristal and throwing back plates of caviar, but unfortunately, that day is not today. Ain’t nothing to be ashamed of - we’re all too familiar with eating on a budget here at Sizzle. So here are seven of our favorite recipes for when you’re too afraid to even check your bank account.
5 One-Pan Roasts For A Healthy Meal Without The Fuss
Hate doing dishes? Of course you do. Got a million things to do and need a set-it-and-forget-it meal? Yes, ma’am. Well then check out our favorite Skillit recipes that require minimal cleanup and lets you get on with your day as your meat and veggies bake to a golden perfection in the oven.
4 Super Simple & Tasty Pasta Dishes
Doesn’t really get any better than a big ‘ol bowl of pasta. Satisfying and delicious to eat, cheap and easy to cook, and it keeps great for leftovers. Check out 9 of Sizzle's best pasta recipes that will make you weak in the knees.